Eulogy for Terrence Gaines
I have worked for and with Terrence and Christie Gaines for several years. I helped to maintain their former home on Loran Terrace, and provided Christian counseling when they had questions about various Bible verses and topics.
I was never in doubt about Terrence's or Christie’s personal salvation, but they needed assurance. So my goal was to build this assurance in them and help them express this assurance to others. Although Terrence became limited in entering into conversations, over time I was able to discern his spiritual maturity.
This was demonstrated by his outgoing friendliness, generosity and patience. He worked hard at recognizing many of us by name. He waited in the upper hallway between services and shook as many of our hands as possible. He dearly loved his wife Christie, his son Roman and Roman's wife Cheryl, and their two children. "Lovie" was the word they chose to start their conversations.
During the week prior to Terrence falling asleep in Jesus, Terrence spent much of his time listening to the Bible on CDs. He was well prepared for his “victory lap". He will be well rewarded along with all of us who believe at the marriage supper with Jesus as described in Revelation 19:7-9! Because I am confident of Terrence's salvation and maturity. I would like to paraphrase what I believe he would like to share with you.
It is not enough to believe that Jesus was a great man, great teacher and miracle worker. To become saved it is necessary to believe that Jesus was the Son of God the Father in heaven and became the Son of God in the human form. Read John 1:1-4 and 1:12-14. Along with the Holy Spirit they are the One Triune God! In the human form He willingly shed His blood on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins, then He arose from the grave and went to heaven to prepare our new incorruptible and immortal bodies! Read 2 Car. 5:1-8 and 1 Car. 15:51-54. He traded our sins for His righteousness! John says in John 20:29-31: Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. .... These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ (Messiah – the anointed one), the Son of God, and that believing you may have life (eternal) in His name!”
The primary repentance that God requires is to change our minds about who Jesus is. We must believe that He is God in the form of the Son! On the other hand, those who refuse to believe Him before they die will suffer everlasting destruction following the judgment for unbelievers. Read 2 Thessalonians 1:9 and Romans 6:23.
Scriptures Referenced in Eulogy for Terrence Gaines
- Revelation 19:7-9 Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready. And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints Then he said to me "Write: Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb".
- John 1:1-4, 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
- 2 Cor. 5:1-8 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, and indeed being clothed, we shall not be found naked, for we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
- 1 Cor. 15:51-54 Behold I show you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortality must put on immortality. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortality has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pas the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory".
- John 20:29-31 Jesus said to him, Thomas, because you have seen me you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet who have believed.... These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ (Messiah-the anointed one), the Son of God, and that believing you may have life (eternal) in His name!
- 1 Thess. 1:9 These ( who do not believe) shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, when He comes in that day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed.
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life, in Christ Jesus our Lord.